As the cold winter months reach their peak, the need for heating and ventilation does too. In addition, the questions surrounding whether a gas or electric furnace would be the best-fit start making rounds as well. If you are in the same boat and are confused about which type of furnace to go for, then you don’t need to worry anymore.
Here is a comprehensive breakdown of the two types of furnaces. Their pros and cons along with maintenance guides are sure to clear all your confusion and have you settled on the right type of investment. To learn more, read ahead.
How the Gas and Electric Furnace Operate
Before we dive in, let’s have a look at how the furnace works. This is important in giving a holistic picture of the way each furnace provides the right amount of heating.
The furnace, be it a gas furnace or electric furnace comes with a thermostat. This controls the amount of heating that is generated. As the temperature dips, the thermostat signals the furnace to take charge. With a gas furnace, the gas valve becomes activated. It releases gas and ignites the burner under the combustion chamber. For the electric furnace, the heat source is an electric current. In both cases, the energy generated is used to heat the metal exchanger.
The heat is then moved throughout the home when the blower motor and fan engage. It enters the plenum and then reaches all parts of the property via the ducts and vents.
When the desired heating temperature is reached, the thermostat signals the furnace to switch off. And so the process continues again when temperatures fall, giving you uniform heating as per your desire.
Electric Furnace vs. Gas Furnace
Be it gas or electric furnaces, the decision to pick one is always confusing. There is no right or wrong furnace here. The one you decide to opt for depends on several factors such as your heating requirements, climate, access to energy, and more. To get an idea of which would suit best with your lifestyle, we have helped make it easy by listing down the pros and cons of each type of furnace.
If you already own a gas furnace, then you are probably aware of what all it has to offer. If not, then here are some of the most common features that can help you decide on investing in a gas furnace.
- Offers lower costs for heating, especially if you have easy access to natural gas
- Ideally opted for in places that have a cooler climate
- Produces efficient and uniform heat
- Can be paired with a cooling system such as an air conditioner
- Requires an uninterrupted gas line and supply of gas
- Has a shorter life span than an electric furnace. Gas furnaces can last for 20 years at a max
Maintenance Tips for Gas Furnaces
To keep your gas furnace operating efficiently, here are the maintenance tips that can be followed.
- Cleaning and replacing of the filter system periodically
- Frequent inspection for any discrepancies such as uneven temperature in your home, poor air quality, a yellow flame in your burner, or loud noise
- Inspection of the fan, thermostat, and vents after the gas furnace has been running for a long while
- Vent cleaning by professional service providers to prevent the build-up of dust and debris
Now, let’s have a look at some of the aspects of an electric furnace. The pros and cons are as follows.
- Easier to install than a gas furnace as it requires little to no venting requirements
- Is quite durable and lasts for up to 30 years
- Generates minimal amount of noise and efficient heating around large facilities
- Ideal for areas with a warmer climate as it can get costly if heating demand is high
- Requires minimal maintenance as compared to the gas furnace
- Produces high costs in the long run.
Maintenance Tips for Electric Furnaces
- Check for signs of deterioration i.e. presence of soot, excessive dry air, grinding noise being produced, or unexplained high bills
- Have your electric furnace inspected by a qualified professional before the start of the heating season
- Ensure the motors are lubricated
- Clean and replace filters without delay
- Have the blower inspected and cleaned. This will ensure the accumulation of dirt and dust is at a minimum
Click here to get a maintenance membership at the most renowned and trusted HVAC service provider in California! With us by your side, you need not worry about having to maintain your furnace on your own. We will stay up to date on your maintenance appointments and ensure your furnace is working most optimally.
Get in Touch with Allbritten for Furnace Installation And Maintenance!
Furnace installation requires the right technique and skills. One wrong move can lead to unwanted costs. You also want to invest in a furnace that is of high quality. If you are looking for such furnaces in Fresno, then get in touch with Allbritten. We offer furnace installation services throughout the season.
In addition, we also provide furnace repair services. So, if your furnace is acting up or producing a foul smell, then all you have to do is give us a call and our team will be at your doorstep right away.
For more information, visit our website or give us a call.